Pages

Friday, January 6, 2012

The Power of Prayer

This has been one heck of a week. Whole-EEEE cow. Seriously. First, we found out one of our players had to have a tumor removed and will be undergoing treatment for the rest of the school year. She is literally one of the STRONGEST girls I have ever met. She brings such joy and enthuasiam everywhere she goes. She is one heck of an athlete. More importantly she is one heck of a person. Today we had a game against our cross county rival. It was a tough and amazing game, and we came out victorious. After the game the other team asked us to come into their locker room. We formed a prayer circle, all mixed in with each other, and prayed for healing for our player. When it was her turn to pray she prayed for US to know that she will be okay. And she will be. What amazing girl. I really feels AMAZING to part of such an amazing community.

The next thing to happen this week was Marcus leaving for Texas. He was really excited about this. His team was sent to the National Collegiate Flag Football Tournament at Texas A&M. Wednesday night I got a call during my game. At the end of the game I sent him a text and said I'd call him soon, which he called right away. When I answered his friend Blake told me that Marcus had broken his leg, and they could see it sticking out of his leg. It hadn't broken the skin, but came very close. Long story short, he had surgery yesterday to put rods and screws in leg, and he is still in the hospital. They are releasing him tomorrow and he will be flying back to Savannah. I was not able to go out there and be with him, but he has been blessed with an amazing team who has been very supportive. He and I were both worried about how much everything would cost, but as long as he's okay, we'll figure it out. Yesterday I pretty much had a mental break down. That morning we got some sad news at school (more on that in a few months), everything going on with our player, and then Marcus went into surgery and I didn't hear from him for six hours. SIX HOURS. Seriously, mental breakdown. I knew he needed me to be strong, but being overwhelmed and a woman, I almost lost it. I heard from him right at the right time, and he was fine.

Today after the game one of my players came to me and said "Coach Burrell, I just want you to know everything will be okay. I'm praying for you and Marcus". Wow. A 12 year old made me feel instantly better. When I spoke to Marcus earlier he had found out that everything will be paid for and he can do therapy at school. WOW the power of prayer.

I am so excited to see him tomorrow. I am SO SO thankful for all of my wonderful friends and family. I am so thankful for all of Marcus' friends and family who have been there for both of us. Specifically - Amy, Ash, Jason, Melvin and Micah for being so helpful with the Budster. Keep prayin' y'all! So thankful for everyone!! xoxox.

No comments:

Post a Comment